Old May 31st 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Square tapper replacement bottom bracket - advice, pls.

Ozark Bicycle wrote:
Llatikcuf wrote:
BigBen wrote:
Hi All,

I ws searching in the S pages for a replacement for my MTB bottom
bracket, and apparently something like that is only still available at
the Alivio group, and bellow.

Other than being heavier - and how much heavier? - what else bad can I
expect from such part?

Further, probably, the next time I think about replacing a b.b., there
won't be any more square tappered ones in the market, right?

Do I have any way of avoiding this complusory obsoletion, or will just
have to change cranks too (even if I'm perfectly happy with my
cranks)?

TIA,
jbr

A. Muzi sells high quality Tange square taper BB's for $25 + $5
shipping (last time I got one anyways) There great! I have one on both
my bikes. Metal cups, none of that plastic crap shimano is selling now.

IMO, like almost everything Shimano does these days, the plastic cups
are aimed at the OEM market; if a cup is cross threaded on the assembly
line, there is little chance of buggering the BB threads on the
commodity aluminum frame (which is worth marginally more than the
plastic cups).

The Shimano BB's have used plastic mounts on one side for a long time
now. I've used them for several years and think it's an entirely
appropriate place to use plastic -- you'll never have to worry about it
corroding in place.