Old April 23rd 21, 12:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wolfgang Strobl[_4_]

Default I am that out of date

Am Thu, 22 Apr 2021 14:18:17 -0700 (PDT) schrieb Sir Ridesalot
:

On Thursday, April 22, 2021 at 7:45:34 a.m. UTC-4, Wolfgang Strobl wrote:
Am Wed, 21 Apr 2021 20:06:52 -0400 schrieb Frank Krygowski

My guess is Sanyo. There's one on one of my wife's bikes now. It's fine
for her occasional use.

Correct, a Sanyo Dynapower. I bought it for the Peugeot PR 60/L shown in
the link above with an Union bottle generator. At that time I used the
Peugeot for commuting during sommer and winter, with various lights. I
tried almost everything, and broke almost everything available at that
time.

I'm retired for more than three years now and mostly don't ride in the
dark anymore. But as a backup and because it's the law, I carry an
b&m Ixon Core in my bag and an Sigma Blaze mounted at the seat post.

https://www.bumm.de/en/products/akku-scheinwerfer/produkt/180l%20.html
https://www.sigmasport.com/en/images/sigma_website/produkte/slider/slider_blaze/slider/01_slider_blaze_black.jpg

I tried one of those Sanyo Dynahub roller generators
and did NOT like the beam pattern with the included
light/ That beam pattern was a long T with both portions
of the T being very narrow. Maybe with a different
light it would have been better.

It was. German law (StVO) made a lot of detailed and very specific
technical requirements for biycle lights mandatory, including a
mandatory generator to provide exactly 3 W at 6 V to the light in front
and the taillight. Even the light bulbs needed a specific registration.

For example, this bulb
https://www.mystrobl.de/Plone/radfahren/technik/komponenten/licht/P1050738a.jpg
has the registration number K16429. First hit with DuckDuckGo:
https://www.amazon.de/K16429/s?k=K16429
These still are in use around here, on very old bikes having had no
maintenance since thirty years or so. But most new utility cycles are
sold with hub dynamos and led lights, for many years now.

I initially used a Busch & Müller Lumotec lampe like this one:
https://images.internetstores.de/products/364367[1920x1920].jpg

Requiring registered bulbs in those lamps wasn't entierely moot, because
it guaranteed the neccessary position and size and position of the the
filament and so sensible beam pattern.

Unfortunately, the very same law didn't allow anything else, neither 12
V, nor more than 2.4 W for the front bulb and 0.6 W taillight. That's
not much with a non-halogen light, even with a good parabolic reflector.

I also thought about cutting out a section
of rear fender on my cantilever brakes touring
bike and then mounting the dynamo to
the brake bridge. However the lousy beam
pattern meant I had no interest in doing that.

I switched to an lead acid battery, already mentioned, plus a second
lamp (Lumotec, too) using a different bulb as a full beam - essentially
overvolting by using a compatible bulb having a lower nominal voltage.
Illegal of course, but necessary for my commute.

--
Wir danken für die Beachtung aller Sicherheitsbestimmungen