Old January 14th 18, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default handlebar

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 14:53:02 -0500, Duane
wrote:

On 11/01/2018 8:27 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Duane wrote:

What are is your interest in the material?
Weight? Strength? Rust?

To understand why I hear all the time they
break while my intuition tells me this has
never been even close to happening to me.

Over a lot of years of cycling using steel, aluminum and CF bars I've
never broken one either. I think Jay is the only one I've heard of
breaking a bar where a crash wasn't involved. I don't climb as much as
he does though.

Same here. All the bars I've seen that were broken or bent were
previously involved in some form of accident, crash, or handling
mishap. For metal, a dent will produce a stress riser, which will
eventually tear the metal. For carbon fiber, construction practices
seem to be the main culprit. In of the following image searches, I
see only three broken aluminum handlebars. The rest are CF:
https://www.google.com/search?q=broken+bicycle+handlebar&tbm=isch
https://www.google.com/search?q=failed+bicycle+handlebar&tbm=isch
Nothing he
http://pardo.net/bike/pic/

Now that I think of it, I've seen more broken stems than broken
handlebars.
https://www.google.com/search?q=broken+bicycle+stem&tbm=isch
My guess(tm) is that the stem is weaker than the handlebar. In a
carsh, the weaker stem then sacrifices itself to protect the
handlebar. Aluminum and steel handlebars also have some flex, which
gives a less tiring ride.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D