Old August 19th 18, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: If you can't miss it

I'm sure I've said this before, but there might conceivably be a new
reader out there.

If you can't miss it, hit it square. A bump that you hit at right
angles is much less likely to steer the bike out from under you than
one struck a glancing blow. Bumps are worse than drop-offs, so line
up with the near edge of a bump and the far edge of a hole.

Just before you hit a bump or a patch of rough road, set the cranks
horizontal and rise out of the saddle with your knees bent. This
saves you from a bruised butt, and it saves the bike from being
crushed between the bump and the inertia of your weight -- your bent
legs serve as shock absorbers. I feel that this position also gives
me better control of the bike.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net