Old July 10th 17, 01:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.usage.english
Peter Duncanson [BrE]

Default AG: Cleaning agent

On Sun, 9 Jul 2017 09:46:22 +0100, John Dunlop
wrote:

Joy Beeson:

I'm tempted to cross-post this to alt.usage.english -- I dithered so
over whether to say "unshipped" "shipped" or "re-shipped". The
incident was unshipping, but it was shipping that got my fingers
dirty.

You could carry a pair of latex gloves for those on-the-road repairs.
They take up almost no space, and if you're careful they're reusable
dozens of times.

On an international forum, I suspect that my best bet would be to
get wordy and say "I had to put my chain back on the chainwheel".

"Unshipped" would be understood in BrE too, but I'd be more likely to
simply say "my chain came off".

The more unlikely term is "chainwheel". I'd say that's pretty rare in
BrE, foreign-sounding even. It's usually "chainring" for the cogs at the
front, and for those at the rear, "sprocket" for individual ones and
"cassette" for the whole assemblage, or more colloquially "block".

"chainwheel" is used by the British company Brompton Bicycle Ltd.

It is used to refer to the whole "wheel" to which the pedals are
attached. The "chainring" is the replaceable outer part of the assembly.

For instance:
http://brilliantbikes.co.uk/brompton...hainwheel.html

44T Brompton BLACK edition crank set (left and right complete) - the
Brompton "spider" crankset
This is the BLACK edition crankset - with black chainwheel and
cranks
The "spider" crankset has a few advantages over the older fixed
crankset:
The chainring protector is held on with screws rather than plastic
lugs so is less liable to falling off
The chainring can be changed without the need to replace the crank
as well (making it easier to change gear ratio)

From these search results:
http://brilliantbikes.co.uk/search?c..._search=Search

--
Peter Duncanson, UK