Old March 16th 19, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default GPS Units = Show road steepness?

Ralph Barone writes:

Radey Shouman wrote:
John B. Slocomb writes:

On Fri, 15 Mar 2019 01:58:37 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

Radey Shouman wrote:
Zen Cycle writes:

I find this aggravating. I know this probably isn't a legit RTC, but
the clock in my car loses a minute per month (no, I'm not
exaggerating), yet I have a ten year old MP3 player I use when working
out that I've never had to rest the clock (I paid $40 for it in
2009). My car is a 2010 element, and it's had this problem since it
was new. I understand from reviewing several internet forums that this
is sort of a known issue, and the dealer said all hondas from that
period that _don't_ have factory navigation systems have this
problem. I understand that saving a few pennies per car means a lot on
the overall cost of the product, but really?

Somebody saved $0.05 on parts. Not always a win.

Hey! Somebody got an employee of the month award, complete with $10
Starbucks gift card for saving that $0.05.

A chap I worked with had worked for Ford Motorcar Co. and had gotten a
cash award for showing how they could install 2 fewer sheet metal
screws in the firewall of a Ford motorcar.

Years ago, while an undergrad, I worked summers at a US govt
installation that shall remain nameless. They had an employee
suggestion program, which offered cash prizes.

This was during the second 1970s oil price shock, and saving energy was
big. One of my cow-orkers submitted a suggestion to remove all the
olive drab paint from the windows of the building where he worked, so
God's free sunlight could reduce the need for electricity. He got a
cash prize.

Several months later, our hero submitted a suggestion noting that
classified material was handled in the building, and someone without the
appropriate clearance might look in through the windows. He got a cash
prize.

Except for all the money wasted, there's a certain beauty to that story.
That guy played the system like a fine violin.

He had his admirers, or I never would have heard it.