Old June 9th 04, 04:27 PM
David Kerber

Default Road or Sidewalk?

In article , k-
says...
I had my first encounter with a jerk with an automobile the other day. I
was riding on the main 4-lane road going through town, as far to the
right as I could without going into the gutter, when from behind me I
hear the belligerent shout of "Get off the road!" I look back to see a
college punk in a black SUV. The traffic was light, and he had plenty of
room to pass me. I just ignored him and biked on.

But the incident brought to mind a question. I'm a fairly new cyclist,
having gotten my bike for Christmas last year. I've learned all the
rules of riding on the road and sharing the road with cars, and I follow
those rules religiously. I've never had a problem with a motorist until
the above mentioned incident. I see lot of cyclists riding on that same
road, and I also see a lot of cyclists riding on the sidewalks
paralleling that road.

My question is, should I be riding on the road when sidewalks are
available? I prefer riding on the road, and the sidewalks, while not
crammed with pedestrians, are never free of them either. What are ya'lls
thoughts? TIA!

Pedestrians are generally much less predictable than drivers and their
vehicles, so from the way you describe it, you will probably be safer on
the road. Also, drivers don't expect fast-moving vehicles on the
sidewalk when they are coming out of side streets and driveways, and
will likely pull out in front of you. Now if there were no shoulder and
bumper-to-bumper traffic in both lanes so that you don't have any room
to ride, it might be a different matter, but bikes usually are safer on
the road than on the sidewalk.

You really have to use your judgement for any given situation.

newsgroups if possible).