Old June 9th 04, 04:27 PM
maxo

Default Road or Sidewalk?

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 11:09:59 -0400, K-Man wrote:

My question is, should I be riding on the road when sidewalks are
available?

Side-walk, not side-cycle... :P I've been known to inform folks blocking
my path in the city when walking that it's also not called a side-stand,
that's what you use to park your bike. Some denser folk with smaller cars
and motorbikes have mistaken the sidewalk for a side-park, which is
probably the most egregious of the offences.

The rule/law in many if not most cities is that persons over 12 years of
age should not ride on sidewalks and should use the street in an
appropriate fashion.

I'm of the opinion that you should never ever use the sidewalk--of course
there's the rare and excusable occasion, but it should be that: rare.

You have every right to use the road unless local law or signage states
otherwise. Let the creeps yell at you, take their license plate number if
they're truly threatening, otherwise realize your emotional
superiority and cycle on with smug satisfaction. If you can't resist
yelling back--my favourite thing to do is to yell "HIYA PAT!!!!!" with a
huge smile on my face as if I'm the biggest hard of hearing idiot in the
world. Helps relieve the tension, and works even better if you can emulate
a circa 1957 Jerry Lewis accent.

Oh, and I hate to mention this, but over 25% of cyclists around here do it
(!) so, make sure you're riding on the correct side of the road--with
traffic. ;D

Happy travels!