Old October 31st 12, 11:03 PM posted to aus.bicycle
John Henderson

Default just what does this mean?

Zebee Johnstone wrote:

So if you stop for a yellow you are fined?

Before you start crossing?

In the middle of the road whan the colour changes?

It doesn't even make much sense if you work out the alternatives.
Presumably they want to say "unless you are already in the
intersection you shouldn't cross if the lights are red" but then why
mention yellow?

It needs to be understood in the context of the rule or rules
it's trying to clarify.

That'll be rule 232 of the Australian Road Rules, as far as I
can work out, and that's what the penalty applies to. It's about
crossing where there are traffic lights but no pedestrian lights.

I blame the English teaching fads of the past couple of generations.
Mrs Parkin would have slapped my palm with a ruler for coming up with
that little gem...

Miss Clatworthy would have done worse to me. Married women
weren't allowed to be teachers when I was at primary school in
Queensland.

John