Old August 16th 04, 03:18 PM
Frank Krygowski

Douglas Harrington wrote:

As for riding with the traffic...
I try to stay in the shoulder at most times, but the roads without
shoulders (or with shoulders filled with sand/glass/tar) are usually
on one-lane roads where passing is prohibited. Is it best to stay in
the traffic lane until I find a safe/clear shoulder and then signal
the car(s) behind me to pass me? Also, at major intersections without
left/right turn only lanes, (like US6 which I cross now and then) I
assume it is best to get in a lane, rather than try to ride along the
side where someone going straight could hit me, correct? I see people
on road bikes moving with the traffic, but I just see everything a
little differently as I can't move that fast. Also, I always ride on
the right (with traffic flow).

Really - read http://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/index.htm

Another tactic to get you started well: Check
http://www.bikeleague.org/educenter/education.htm
to find a Road 1 class or instructor near you. Yeah, the idea of taking
a class in bicycling may seem odd, but the classes are very enjoyable,
and the typical price (less than $50) is low. You can't make a better
investment for cycling enjoyment.

And the instructor will probably answer every question you have, or can
dream up!

--
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]