Old July 8th 08, 06:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Werehatrack

Default 15 year old tires - any life left in 'em?

On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 11:22:22 -0700 (PDT), may have
said:

Hello all.

I've got an '89 Giant Iguana. 15 years ago the original tires were
replaced with Avocet Cross 26 X 1.50 Kevlar tires. The rims are Araya
36 spoke.

Over the years I haven't ridden this bike much at all, and there's
plenty of tread left on the tires. I've been riding the last couple
weeks and the tires seem just fine. But I do see cracks on the
sidewall - nothing major but definitely noticeable. I attribute this
cracking to the fact that the tires are 15 years old, and this kind of
(rotting?) cracking is inevitable and normal.

I'm wondering just how much life is left in these tires? Is this
normal and to be expected given the age of the tires? Do these cracks
increase the risk of a sidewall leak, or blowout?

I've heard that with a good quality tire, unless you're seeing lumps
and bulges in the sidewall, this kind of cracking is no real cause for
concern - and if they still have tread, you can keep riding on older
tires if you plan to get as much life out of them as possible. Is this
true?

I've looked into buying some new Avocets to replace what I have now,
but from what I've been told this Kevlar model is backordered until
the fall. So it looks like I'll be riding on what I've got fore the
rest of the summer.

Any insight you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You let the bike sit mostly idle for 15 years, right? My advice: For
the sake of safety, replace the tires, and don't spend a lot on the
new ones. You won't be able to tell the difference between Avocets
and cheap Fortes from Performance.