Old January 7th 18, 11:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Joerg Antidote

On 1/6/2018 8:21 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, January 6, 2018 at 12:42:34 PM UTC-8, Radey Shouman wrote:
Sorry, Joerg, I needed a subject and "Ride Report" seemed too grandiose.

First ride of the new year: -5F and breezy, but at least the sun was
shining. Went to town, about four miles, for yoga practice, after
breaking out the ski bibs and the balaclava. I did wear my Adidas
sneakers, on Lou's recommendation, they worked ok but I'm almost
resolved to acquire a bicycle that can be comfortably ridden in big
rubber boots.

It was nice day here in PDX. I was in cleats and did a short-ish ride. I then drove my son around in the car on routes that we ordinarily ride together. He was visiting from Salt Lake and had a big accident when we were skiing on Mt. Hood on Christmas eve. Anyway, he ended up with a lot of hardware in both ankles (pilon fractures) and is now in a wheelchair for 12 weeks and living at our house.

This is a long wind-up for my platform pedal story. I used one when

I was riding in an ortho boot following my ski fractures about ten years
ago.

Yow. Skiing sounds pretty dangerous!

Then we drove around the West Hills. I scraped the undercarriage coming up Brynwood -- which I rode last weekend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0lUZG8pku8 Go to 3:30 to get a sense of the grade. It's a killer.

Any idea of the percent gradient?

--
- Frank Krygowski