Old August 3rd 17, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default New bike for Jay

On 2017-08-01 08:45, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 8:18:39 PM UTC-7, Frank
Krygowski wrote:
On 7/31/2017 5:45 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/31/2017 4:24 PM, wrote:
What,abt the nww bike performance ?

I find that new bike performance is limited by my
old legs. YMMV

... and lungs. And ticker. Plus, the fire in my belly
is largely gone.

The fire sometimes comes back, though. We (my wife and
I, riding tandem) were on a pretty leisurely club ride
a couple weeks ago. A new young guy had showed up, and
we were riding along chatting with him. He said he
rides to stay in shape for his other sports, etc.

As we talked, one of our club members who's notorious
for such behavior decided to hit high gear and crank
away out front for a while, then wait for the rest of
the crew to catch up. When he did that, the newbie
suddenly ended our conversation, saying something like
"Excuse me now..." and took off.

I though "Excuse me???" and told my wife "Let's go." So
we reeled him in and were a comfortable ten feet behind
when he caught the rabbit. For icing on the cake, our
rabbit guy (as he always does) left the leisurely
riders for the last five miles or so to crank in at 20
- 25 mph . My wife and I were close behind, and the
newbie was a distant third. It was quite satisfying.

But with a tandem, terrain is everything. If it
weren't fairly flat, we'd happily ride back with the
leisurely crowd.

(P.S. Don't interpret this tale as a claim that I
could stick with Jay, Tom or Duane, let alone James.)

I'm old and slow. I wouldn't ride with you because you'd
be in the middle of the road. I'd keep saying, "hey
Frank, get over here. You're going to get whacked." You
would scold me for being a gutter bunny, although I don't
ride on the fog line and rarely ride anywhere with a
gutter. We'd ride up on Joerg who would have a pannier
full of water, a couple CPUs and a growler. He'd be
complaining about psychopaths in cars and the fact that
his Gazelle didn't come with factory rack-mounts and room
for 35mm steel belted tires or a o-ring chain. He'd have
to stop every fifteen minutes to pee. I don't think this
NG would want to ride together.

Only one pee on a 4-5h ride. My PSA test came back 0.4ng/ml
so no "urge to go" from that department. However, I might
bow out of the r.b.t. peloton the millisecond I spot a
brewpub. You son would probably already be in the next
county by then and leave us old farts behind.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

My feeling on the matter is: Do NOT drink a 12-pack of beer
the nite before riding the 5 Miles of Hell trail in Utah.

No 12-packs from the store here, it's only our own brew. The
good stuff.

Depends where you buy your beer. My local store has an awesome
selection:
http://www.rainydayportland.com/2012...multnomah.html

Here is our Marco's Cafe, in the middle of this page:

http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/gold-country-ca

Great place. Food is mediocre at best but good brews and good live
music. With dancing.

Beer is passe. There's a brewpub or brewery on every Portland
street corner. http://www.portlandbeer.org/breweries You can get
good Oregon brewed bottled IPAs at Costco.

That is a major line-up. We don't have quite that selection but
it's adequate. However, since I started brewing my own it only
matters during rides. On some MTB rides far off civilization I take
a home brew along. Surpringly it stays very cool in a stainless
double-wall thermos and the constant shaking doesn't seem to harm
it much.

Now it's about cannabis -- and maybe hard cider . . . or mead.
Hell, I don't know. No, no . . . its artisanal booze:
http://www.distilleryrowpdx.com/

Try their Hopka:

http://www.indiospirits.com/

Good stuff, just don't ride after too many of those. There are also
in Portland. Where else?

Hops liqueur? Blecchhhh. I'm not an atisanal liquor fan.

Marcos is kind of a dump (but about the only place you could buy
espresso drinks 30-40 years ago in PDX). I was posting the picture
of the dumpy market down the street with the massive beer collection.
They have a zillion bottles and some really arcane stuff. Even the
store that is about a third of a mile from my house has a good beer
selection. There is a growler fill place across the street from that.
You have to like to home brew as a hobby because it is super-easy to
just walk down the street and buy a good beer. I have too many other
chores to spend time home brewing, but maybe I'll try it when I
retire.

Well, here in the People's Republic of California we have myriad
nonsensical rules such as no growler sales at any place that doesn't
brew right then and there. Then myriad taxes and "fees" (a.k.a. taxes)
which makes a growler fill cost $15-$20 instead of you $10 and the whole
picture turns pretty bleak. A growler with Belgian Tripel costs north of
$20 and I can make five gallons (which equals 10 growlers) for under $60.

Money or distance isn't the reason for me. For example, yesterday I rode
up to Placerville on singletrack and had a beer at a brewery, could have
brought back a growler. However, a growler with two people mweans you'll
be drinking the same beer all night. Also, I like to experimnent a bit
with the recipes so we have some beers now that you cannot buy anywhere.