Old August 20th 17, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Principles of Traffic Law

I went for two rides today and didn't have time to write, so I'm
appending some undigested notes.

It was a split ride, really. I went to the Farmers' Markets in the
morning, came home and took a nap, then went to Aldi for groceries.
This is the second time I've split a ride, and I plan to do it again
next Saturday: markets in the morning and the Pierceton Tomato
Festival in the afternoon.

My first split ride was to Pierceton Days. This time I'll take enough
water for the entire trip; the only outdoor drinking fountain in
Pierceton wasn't turned on this spring, and neither the library nor
the Senior Center is open on Saturday. And the Oddfellows Cafe closes
after lunch.

The split ride solves both the long-ride problem and the figure-eight
problem. When I take a long ride, I have to skip my nap, and I'm not
worth much on the following day. And whenever I planned to drop off
something at home and then go somewhere else, I invariably chickened
out and stayed home -- until I thought of *planning* to eat lunch and
go to bed.

On to the undigested notes:

Folks have a terrible time learning the rules, because they try to
learn unrelated rules covering each of thousands of situations.

It's a lot easier to learn the principles used to build the rules;
then you can derive them as required.

Traffic law is intended to get everybody to his destination without
endangering people or property, and with a minimum of getting into
each other's way.

The first traffic law, on which all others are but commentary, is
"Thou shalt make thyself easy to predict."

Two objects can't occupy the same space at the same time, and
considerable damage will occur if they try. Nearly all rules concern
themselves with trying to avoid collisions.

Two bodies travelling along the same line are much less likely to
collide if they are going in the same direction.

joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
The above message is a Usenet post.