Old April 21st 18, 10:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Build it and they will come - but where are they?

On 4/21/2018 4:03 PM, sms wrote:

In my house, the new infrastructure has resulted in an 100% increase of
household members cycling to work.

OK.

In our house and in our previous house, I cycled to work using no
special segregated infrastructure at all. Nobody else cycled to work.
But given that my wife had home health medical clients all across the
county, that's not surprising.

Near the houses of each of our adult kids, there are bike lanes and/or
separate MUPs. Nobody in those families cycles to work. One still rides
occasionally, including some trips to the store, but puts in far more
miles running. The other doesn't ride at all, despite bike lanes right
outside the front door.

More interesting to me is visiting the town where one kid lives. Yes,
there are bike lanes. Yes, they have gravel in them. They just don't
have bikes in them - IOW, I see about two bikes per year using the lanes.

One of those lanes is on my normal route to their local hardware store.
It runs along the curb past a playground all the way up to a T
intersection, where almost all traffic turns right. It's an invitation
to a right hook crash.

--
- Frank Krygowski