Old May 12th 13, 05:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Default Actual Tech: Quick Links

Andre Jute writes:

On Saturday, May 11, 2013 4:15:10 PM UTC+1, Jay Beattie wrote:
For some unknown reason, I bought a Shimano chain. What a pain in the

ass with the single-use pin. I assume there is an after-market "quick

link" for these things? I suppose I could Google it, but if there is

a preferred product, I would appreciate knowing that.

-- Jay Beattie.

First you need to measure very carefully to discover the width across links because even with a single "speed" there may be differences. Once you have the width of the chain, I recommend the KMC quick links. The Connex ones also work well enough. My experience with the SRAM quick links is that they don't last as long as a quality chain, which can be a nuisance (I use KMC X8 chains). I have reused a KMC quick link without any problem.

Unless you have experience opening quick links, I suggest you practice before you have to do it on the road. My hands are soft -- I don't leave the house without gloves -- so I use a purpose made tool to break and refit quick links.

Christ, 11-speed quick-links are pricey: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=57321

Here are some more, including the wrong one for my version of the KMC X8,
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=25439

Here are some more on the pages where I found the right one for my chain
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?s=chain+link

Here are the official KMC quick link tool, a pair for opening and closing:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kmc-chain-link-pliers/
But I use this one instead, a single tool rather than a pair:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=47439

Thanks for providing the links. Occasionally I've found the
quicklinks to be a bit of a pain to open, so a tool would
be useful. Didn't know they existed.

--
Joe Riel