Old March 22nd 07, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Stolen bike

On 22 Mar 2007 06:17:26 -0700, wrote:

On 22 Mar, 13:03, Tony Raven wrote:
elyob wrote on 22/03/2007 12:37 +0100:

Not really a "one for the good guys". You put yourself in a potentially
dangerous situation to retrieve your stolen bicycle due to the uselessness
of the police.

I once got my bike back too. It was stolen from my garage as 'get
away' transport for some bloke who had just done over the local
garage. I had SPDs on at the time and the idiot also put it straight
onto the big cog, which was massive at the time because I was using it
for TTing. He got a few hundred yards. The bike was with the police
for ages as 'evidance' and I've still got a red tag on it they put on
as a momento.

I got mine back.

Made about 100 A4 photocopied "posters" and put them about - made sure
there was one in EVERY cycle shop. Reward was offered.

A few weeks later got a telephone call from the owner of my favourite
cycle shop saying a "young fellow" had been looking at the poster and
asking questions. Two days later I got another call - from a young
fellow - and that day I went and got the bike, except for the Brooks
(this still rankles).

Then I called the local police in case they ever in their boredom
decided to look for it and found _me_ astride; could have been a bit
of a bother.