Old April 19th 04, 10:23 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Default Helmets

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:53:26 +0100, "Vivian"
wrote in message :

I'm new to this group so I don't know if this has been discussed before.

Ad nauseam.

Wearing a helmet will become compulsory for under 16's in the UK.

Almost certainly not in this session of Parliament, thanks to some
very hard work by people who really could have done without the
ditraction.

read/heard many people complaining that this will deter people from picking
up cycling, as wearing a helmet implies a dangerous activity.
I totally disagree with this.

You are evidently a native of Cloud Cuckoo Land, please show your
passport on entry to the Real World [tm] ;-)

It would be bizarre if it did not result in a substantial reduction in
cycling, as that is precisely what has happened everywhere else it has
been tried. Reductions in injury rates are rather harder to find.
Actually the Government ackowledges that it knows of no case where
cyclist safety has improved with increased helmet wearing.

Visit http://www.cyclehelmets.org for more detail. It is one of those
subjects which, the more you study it, the less certain you become of
anything - other than the fact that helmet laws are a failed
experiment and do more harm than good.

--
Guy
===