Old April 22nd 17, 03:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Selecting An Appropriate Bolt

On Fri, 21 Apr 2017 06:49:50 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 2:25:50 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:

This is false logic. There are at least 15 parts on your bike; by your policy we should expect catastrophic part failure once per year.

Because weight is now being stressed over anything else we, unfortunately, can expect at least one catastrophic failures per year.

Though I'm back to steel bikes I had a set of the top of the line Campy aluminum wheels. I did a local ride with a nice 12% climb and strong decent. That is a 40 mph drop. After I got back to town and was about a quarter mile from home a spoke broke on perfectly flat and what passes for smooth road around here. The rim distorted so much I had to carry the bike the remaining quarter mile. If this had happened on that decent... The wheel only had about 3-4,000 miles on it since new.

And likely the spokes were not tight enough. Low tension spokes WILL
break.