Old October 20th 15, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
dgk

Default Danger! Danger!

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 07:08:03 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 09:50:49 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/30/2015 2:29 AM, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 20:13:54 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/27/2015 10:41 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

I stopped at a garage sale on the way to the tomato festival,

Ah. Some friends and I provided music for a tomato festival today.

and I
filled up my cooler at the festival, so when I stopped at Aldi's on
the way home, I had to take some back-up bungees out of storage to get
all my groceries attached.

After everything was battened down, I noticed a tag fluttering from
one of the new bungees and ripped it off.

It reads:

---------------------

Stretch cord carefully. Uncontrolled release can cause severe injury
to unprotected body parts, particularly eyes.

Maximum stretch-length 50% of unstretched cord. Overstretching cord
can cause hook failure, resulting in sudden, uncontrolled release.
Wear safety glasses when attaching and releasing.

---------------------

Man, I don't even *own* a pair of safety glasses! What a daredevil
I've been all these years.

Note that it never mentioned the danger in failing to attach all
hooks. A dangling bungee can catch in your spokes, which will wreck
the bungee, wreck the wheel, or send you over the handlebars.

FWIW: When my wife, daughter and I rode coast to coast some years back,
we had only two minor injuries, IIRC. Both were my daughter's.

One was a bungee cord injury. As she was stretching one to tie down her
sleeping bag, it slipped and hit her in the lip. She had a nice big
bubble in her lip for several days afterwards.

So I agree with the first three words of the sticker. The next sentence
is true, in the sense that bungees are one of a million things that CAN
cause severe injury. The rest is overkill.

Bungee's are a very low priority item.

When I was about 8 years old I fell out of a tree, I fell off a horse
once or twice, my brother had a ram sheep knock him down several times
before he could get out of the barnyard, my cousin fell on a pitch
fork and drove a tine through his calf. My mother caught her hand in a
clothes wringer".

Hot Damn! Life is just full of dangers.

(Why doesn't the government Do Something)

Oh, but it is! It's spreading "Danger! Danger!" warnings!

It seemingly defeats Darwin's theory as we now, apparently, have
survival of the un-fittest :-)

Yup, innovation does protect those who would have been wiped out of
the gene pool. Like eye glasses. Now folks who would have been walking
in front of bikes and cars can see them coming. No fair.