Old September 18th 18, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Rear derailleur help

On Monday, September 17, 2018 at 7:44:25 PM UTC-7, David Scheidt wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
:On 9/17/2018 3:58 PM, wrote:
: On Sunday, September 16, 2018 at 4:37:42 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
: On 9/16/2018 6:11 PM,
wrote:
: I am trying to change the gearing on a beloved seventies 6/7 speed. I would like to use a 50-34 compact crankset but stick with a 6 or 7 speed freewheel in back so I don't have to change wheels and spread the frame. I need rear derailleur ideas that could handle a 30T capacity and a 28T rear cog. Do you have any suggestions? A website suggested the Campagnolo Veloce 10 speed derailleur, but when I tried this model, it doesn't work, even with substituting longer adjustment screws there was too much travel toward the spokes. Thanks.
:
:
: With friction shifters a Veloce long cage should shift well.
: You do need a longer low gear screw (m4x0.7) but you can
: buy one for pennies at any hardware store.
:
: Ensure derailleur is vertical (cage parallel to chainrings),
: ensure chain length is adequate and then shift firmly with
: your thumb like this:
:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/gearchek.jpg
: so you know absolutely that the chain will not shift off the
: back of your low gear sprocket.
:
: The low gear limit is the one on the left. You can see its
: function by looking up from under the changer. Once the
: shifter is adjusted properly, connect the gear wire. Have
: another go, you just missed something.
:
:
: --
: Andrew Muzi
: www.yellowjersey.org/
: Open every day since 1 April, 1971
:
: Andrew, the springs that are supposed to hold the limit screws in place are likely not to be long enough. I have tried to use Blue Locktite but can't get it to work like the stuff on many factory parts. Looking at these parts it appears that you have to put a single drop of the blue onto the screw and to let it dry for about an hour before using it. But instead of getting a tighter screw fit the damn things always are way too tight. And it's hard to get a single drop at a time from the tube. Hard you got some hints about this?
:

:I doubt very much that a drop of typical Loctite thread locker will ever
:dry on a screw. As I understand things, it's an anaerobic adhesive, and
:its solidification is triggered by the presence of metal ions AND the
:absence of air. http://instantca.com/articles/anaerobic-adhesives/

:Now Loctite has dozens of products, including many intended for
:industrial use instead of consumer use. I don't doubt they make a
:compound to pre-apply to screws that does turn solid. But that's not the
:stuff normally sold in stores.

:If you find out different, let me know.

No, you're right. The preapplied stuff is called 'Dri-loc'. It's not
really available outside of industrial sales channels, and not even
readily there (neitther mcmaster nor fastenal list it, for instance).
there's a pre assembly tape that's somewhat more available.

Now that's what I needed to know. Thanks David. I assumed that it was just red for the original and blue for the Dri-loc.