Old September 11th 19, 11:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Problems with upper gears

On Wednesday, 11 September 2019 06:00:38 UTC-4, AK wrote:
On Wednesday, September 11, 2019 at 2:03:59 AM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, 11 September 2019 02:29:21 UTC-4, AK wrote:
Your changing answers are very humorous and have made me smile.

Just a friendly suggestion.

You might want to re- read my posts.

Have a great evening.

Andy

What changing answers? You said you took a bike with a six speed cluster in for repairs and that the shop put on an 8-speed shifter after which you had trouble shifting. Both myself and Andrew Muzi told you that an 8-speed shifter won't work on a 6-speed cluster.

I've been asking you if your previous shifter was indexed and if this new shifter has a friction mode. That's because I was trying to save you some money since an 8-speed shifter with a friction mode WILL shift a 6-speed cluster but NOT IN INDEX MODE.

Sometimes you just can't help people.

I'm done. Good luck.

Cheers

I appreciate your trying to save me money, but the upgrade to an 8 speed freewheel will cost me nothing.

So to recap.

For $60 I have spent, my mountain bike will have...

New chain

New indexed shifters

New freewheel

Andy

An EIGHT speed freewheel? Get ready to enjoy bent or broken rear axles. There's an AWFUL LOT OF OVERHANG on an 8-speed freewheel between the drive side cone and the end of the axle. That's the MAIN reason why FREEHUBS and CASSETTES were invented and became popular. Even with 7-speed freewheels there were a lot of bent or broken rear axles and that's not counting if the axle was a cheap one in the first place.

Good luck as I'm sure you're going to need it. Don't do any rough riding like hitting potholes whilst still seated, or riding off of curbs.

Cheers