Old October 19th 18, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default those darned NYC cyclists again

On 10/19/2018 2:00 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Friday, October 19, 2018 at 5:58:48 PM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Looking at the web pile, the only thing
unique about the Patek Phillipe watches is the hand finishing:
https://www.patek.com/en/company/savoir-faire

That's monstrously unfair. Patek Philippe design and make all their own movements, and they have many innovations to their credit. Many of the other big names in expensive watches buy in their movements from Eterna, whose own watches are another favorite of mine. I don't actually wear a watch because I'm always accompanied by people to keep me on schedule, but I collect watches, and always have, as fine expressions of man's mechanical genius. Others who make their own movements are the two really big names besides Patek, Audemars Piguet and Vacheron Constantin, plus some a fraction below them. That's what distinguishes a real watchmaker from the rest: making his own mechanical movements. The rest sell empty style built around someone else's movements but, while one of the double-barrels is an investment, the stylists' only guarantee is that in ten years they will be worth a fraction of what was paid for them.

You might also be interested in electronic watches, in which I own the two most complicated complications watches, both from Citizen, one a minute repeater, which is the zenith of complications.

Andre Jute
Western Civilization is found on time-keeping. Respect the horologists.

Down here at the lower end of consumer goods, one of the
most beautiful watches I ever owned was a 1980 Citizen with
day of week in Kanji. Sadly, it didn't survive an otherwise
not serious bike wreck. (last watch I bought new in a retail
store)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/