Old November 2nd 16, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Vitus 979: Removing Cranks and Bottom Bracket?

On 11/2/2016 3:30 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 12:41:27 PM UTC-6, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/30/2016 12:37 PM, honda.lioness wrote:
On Sunday, October 30, 2016 at 12:08:24 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
Didn't you write Shimano 600 earlier?

Yes, this is what is printed on the cranks and the gear shift levers. I thought this was a.k.a. "Shimano Dura-Ace."

The classic New Dura Ace BB interchanges with Campagnolo
1046A which is a different taper section than the most
common[1] modern cartridge crank spindles and asymmetric as
well.

Are you saying that the typical modern cartridge crank will not fit my bike? Also that I need an asymetric cartridge and this will cost me more?

What does the Campagnolo 1046A have to do with this?

If it's a BB7400 I would rebuild it or have that done. Nice
product well worth keeping IMHO.

Is "7400" going to be stamped on the bottom bracket somewhere and evident when I take the BB apart?

[1]There are good cartridge replacements but not for $15

That's fine. But from what you wrote, now I cannot tell whether one even exists for my Vitus 979.

Your New 600 cranks will be stamped FC-6207, FC-6208 or
similar on each arm. The New Dura Ace arms will read
FC-7400, FC-7401 or similar. Matching crank bearings will
share the crank number series, BB-6207, BB-7400 etc. When
you know what you actually have advice will be straightforward.

New Dura Ace crank bearing assemblies are an exact
interchange to Campagnolo 1046A Nuovo Record which was
considered a feature at the time as there was such a large
installed base of replacement parts across many brands for
that format. Shimano 600 is different in taper section and
spindle format.

When you say "New 600 cranks," I am not sure what you mean by "New." I am not looking to replace the cranks. I only want to replace or rebuild the bottom bracket.

In my last post, I asked:
Are you saying that the typical modern cartridge crank will not fit my bike? Also that I need an asymetric cartridge and this will cost me more?

I would still like someone to answer this.

My LBS the other day looked at my Vitus 979 and said a rebuild made the most sense to them. They thought the BB was assymetrical. For them, the cartridge would be a special order and expensive.

The original 600 EX and AX cranks from the 1970s are
probably not relevant to this discussion. Shimano's product
for the '80s is called "New 600"
http://www.yellowjersey.org/shnew600.jpg

From your post today I believe:
1. Your shop seems savvy.

2. Your cranks are most probably Dura Ace (asymmetric
spindle, classic taper section) not New 600 (symmetric,
revisionist taper section, fits popular cheap sealed units)

So my advice is to take their advice and have them rebuild
your DA crank bearing assembly. Do that again in 4~5 years,
meanwhile enjoy. Oh and be grateful you have a competent
shop nearby, not everyone does.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/