Old June 27th 18, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Default Making America into Amsterdam

On 27/06/2018 10:23 AM, jbeattie wrote:

Portland claims 7% of trips in the city are by bike, at least that's how I understand the stat -- it is mode share. That number is zero in places and over 20% in places, and those high percentage places are exactly what you would expect -- flat, high density, close-in and very Bohemian with (believe it or not) modest bike facilities, mostly bike lanes and some traffic calmed streets.

I don't know the exact stats off hand but in Montreal the highest
cycling content is around the Plateau/Mount Royal area. It's anything
but flat there.

With the amount of auto traffic, I think the bike lanes and paths help
increase usage. But this is also near most of the universities.
Parking is extremely expensive. A lot of the young hipsters live around
here. All of these things contribute.