Old June 27th 18, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Making America into Amsterdam

On 6/27/2018 7:23 AM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

Portland claims 7% of trips in the city are by bike, at least that's how I understand the stat -- it is mode share. That number is zero in places and over 20% in places, and those high percentage places are exactly what you would expect -- flat, high density, close-in and very Bohemian with (believe it or not) modest bike facilities, mostly bike lanes and some traffic calmed streets.

Flatness is not an issue. Bike mode percentage continues to increase in
San Francisco despite the hills.
https://humanstreets.org/power-in-numbers-bicycling-in-san-francisco-just-keeps-growing-50141502e36f

While it's important not to confuse correlation with causation, the
increase do correlate with increases in bicycle infrastructure.

I was talking to a LAB instructor a couple of days ago, who was
interested in applying for a job as a bicycle coordinator for a city. We
were discussing what's needed to get more students to bike to school
instead of being driven. These are relatively short distances, not more
than three miles. It's several things that if accomplished would result
in at least a modest increase in bicycling, but they need to be done all
at once. You can't overcome just one obstacle, see the mode-share not
increase, proclaim failure, and insist that spending more money is
pointless.