Old December 16th 05, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default bike season over...

It's not such a matter of being metrically challenged as it is just being
not used to things like kph in terms of a real feel. IMO, that is.

My first trip to France, I made the mistake of recalibrating my bike
computer to metric. BIG mistake. I had no idea how fast I was really going,
and in the L'Etape du Tour, burned myself out hainging with guys climbing
moderate grades at speeds a bit higher than I should have. But what does
33km/hour mean to me? Wall-to-wall cyclists (closed roads), you just kinda
get sucked along. Plus you don't have a good feel for how far you've gone,
and the intuitive feel you get reading KMs is that you've gone further than
you actually have.

So now I ride with two computers, one set to KMs and the other to Miles. Not
that big a deal when they're both wireless and feed off the same
transmitter.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA
"Roger Zoul" wrote in message

"gds" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ken M wrote:
.
Metrically challenged? Well thats most Americans.

And not getting much better. The main highway between Tucson and
Nogales, Mexico is I-19 and for many years all of the mileage signs
were in km. That is now being changed back to miles. Of course it they
posted the speed limit in km we'd have every pick up in southern AZ
tipping over as they take a curve at 120 mph.