Old September 8th 05, 04:26 PM
Werehatrack

Default What's The Deal with Titanium Chain Locks?

On 8 Sep 2005 07:38:09 -0700, "NYC XYZ"
wrote:

It occurred to me that a chain and lock made out of titanium would be
the lightest and strongest of all...but I don't seem to see any purely
titanium chain locks for sale, only "titanium reinforced" steel chain
locks.

What's up with that? Surely there are those who would pay premium
dollar for a lightweight but extremely strong chain lock made of
titanium. If I understand things correctly, titanium should be
unbreakable, right? I mean, it's the stuff tank armor is made of! But
I read instead that ti locks aren't as strong as steel, actually!

WTF?!

Pure titanium is not all that strong. Used in an alloy, it can make a
stronger, lighter product than steel...but the expense of making the
material and working it can be amazingly high.

Do you want to pay DoD prices for your chain? If so, then I suspect
that you can get a near-bombproof Ti-alloy chain somewhere. But I
suspect that a spare bike might be cheaper, and a good conventional
hardened chain would be a lot more cost-effective.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.