Old January 25th 13, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Rethinking getting Surly Long Haul Trucker frame?

On Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:00:35 PM UTC-7, landotter wrote:
On Oct 12, 1:47*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Hi there.

I'm rethinking getting a Surly Long Haul Trucker frameset.

I was about to go to the shop to get measured for a Surly Long Haul

Trucker frame.

*BUT*

The Surly website says that there is only a *3 year limited warranty*

on the frame and also *Not* to use a kickstand as the frame is not

designed for the loads a kickstand can produce. This is with either a

chainstay mounted one or one that mounts on the rear chainstay/

seatstay area.

This frame's regular price here is $550.00 CDN and is on sale for

$340.00 for a short time on existing stock.

Why only a 3 year warranty on a steel frame? I expected a lifetime

limited warranty at least on a steel touring frame. A 3 year limited

warranty on what's suposed to be a quality steel heavy duty touring

frame just doesn't make sense to me. Even many department store steel

BSOs have lifetime warranties on the frame. Again, why such a short

warranty period from Surly for the LHT frame? Has the quality dropped

a lot from what it used to be?

Any light you can shed on why there's such a short warranty period

will be immensely appreciated by me.

Can't tell you why--if it baffles you, write Surly. I wouldn't worry

much, though--those things are rock solid. D. just broke the dropout

on his Cross-Check, with a lighter tubeset--after five years of urban

abuse, jumping it, and CX racing. One of the hardest riders I know. He

could have had A. fix the dropouts--but after so many years, he felt

that a new frame of the exact model, color, and size would be the best

choice--as he's also a dealer. I believe the old frame will stick

around as a shop ceiling curio.

I consider 5 years of racing to be nothing whatsoever. I have around 20,000 miles on a Look 247 Tour Replica and if any Look part were to break on it I would be flabbergasted. In my 30+ years of riding I have had ONE component break and that was extremely bad workmanship on the part of ITM whom I would recommend no one ever buy ANYTHING from. Even a piece of paper. I was nearly killed and to them it was a chuckle.

In short - I would be concerned if Long Haul Trucker does not offer at least a 10 year warranty and especially if they cannot handle a kick-stand. That is especially weird. If they're worried about after market kickstands then all they would have to do is supply a workable kickstand or recommend those that would work. Or do they have the wheelbase so shrunken that a kickstand simply won't fit? If that's so it would hardly be a "long haul trucker" indicating a touring bike.