Old October 12th 17, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default DRIVERLESS ELECTRIC CARS

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 11:37:08 +0100, Steffo
wrote:

I read an interesting article that sooner or later we will not only use
driveless cars as means of transportation, but also 70% of people will
prefer to live in driveless homes http://tinyurl.com/yangl6pa rather
than buy expensive condos/houses.

Yep. If it moves, is road legal, and can be computerized, it can be
automated to drive itself. Just keep the mobile home moving so that
it never needs to find a parking space. Progress blunders onward.

Just one problem. The road infrastructure that the US built during
the 1930's depression, and again during the cold war, is falling
apart. Roads are designed to last about 25 years and bridges about 50
years. The better built freeways, maybe also 50 years. The whole
concept of driverless cars assumes the existence and maintenance of
smooth, clean, pot hole free, and safe highways. By the time
driverless cars are perfected and the Luddites have been exterminated,
the cost of replacing and repairing the highways will probably reach
the crisis point. The car of the future might just be a 4x4 with an
articulated suspension, designed to make it's way over the rubble that
was once our freeway and highway system.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D