Old July 30th 03, 04:11 PM
Steven Goodridge

Default Do bicycles and cars mix?

Dr Engelbert Buxbaum wrote
As we have demonstrated above, building more roads does not reduce
congestion, instead you get more cars ideling around, hence more
pollution.

I wouldn't agree with that; more roads connecting the same nearby
destinations tends to disperse traffic without increasing it. This
improves conditions for drivers of all vehicles, be they bicycles or
cars.

Some urban arterial projects designed to move cars long distances may
induce traffic by making geography less relevant to people's travel
habits, but this is of little concern to cyclists.

It simply isn't reasonable to insist that people walk or bike. It's
needless work, and anyone with a brain will move, or break the law,
rather than comply.

This may be true for a small minority of brain-amputated red necks, but
the vast majority of people will enjoy the environment thus created.

Not everybody wants to travel by bicycle, and not everybody wants to
travel by car. Fortunately, we live in a free country where we are at
liberty to choose the travel mode that works best for us, and the
traffic laws are written to allow safe sharing of roadways by a
diversity of vehicle types. I believe that cyclists' interests are
best served by jointly celebrating this freedom with drivers of every
other type of vehicle and building understanding of one another's
needs. Mutual respect is the foundation of safe, lawful, and efficient
roadway sharing.

- Steven Goodridge
Bicycle Commuter
NC Coalition for Bicycle Driving