Old June 15th 19, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Chain alignment friction losses -- Dangers of Nose Blowing

On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 11:54:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, June 15, 2019 at 12:47:01 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 12:28:50 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 8:12:10 PM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 9:58:37 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 11:02:05 PM UTC+2, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Thursday, June 13, 2019 at 1:07:11 AM UTC-7, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 13.06.2019 um 01:21 schrieb John B.:
As an aside, 250 watts is probably as high, or perhaps higher, than
the usual recreational cyclist normally produces.

My health insurance says 2 watts per kilogram body mass is a healthy,
above average value. So a normal recreational cyclist is likely to have
a sustained output on the order of 100W (typical female, 50kg) to 150W
(typical male, 75kg).

Rolf

I'm nearly 75 and 6'4" and have fattened up to 190 lbs with something of a small roll around my middle and can sustain 350 watts for over 10 minutes and a continuous 250 watts. Since everyone on two wheels seems faster than me I have to wonder about that claim.

I said it before Tom, with those numbers you are Pro Team material. I did a reasonable hard ride today, 100 km 1350 m elevation. I managed an average of 188 Watt for almost 4 hours, measured with a power meter. My Garmin detected a new FTP setting of 215 Watt today. I'm 62 yr old and weigh 75 kg at the moment. I'm certainly not Pro Team material ;-).

Did you go to Belgium or do laps on the Vaalserberg?

-- Jay Beattie.

Ha, something like that ;-) We have our hilly part in the Netherlands.. From where I live it is a 45 minutes drive first;

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3746567378

A lot of short (steep) climbs, you know from The Amstel Gold Classic, won by Mathieu van de Poel this year.

One forgets! BTW, the CX guys are really putting on a show. http://www..cyclingnews.com/news/van...ine-stage-win/ Incroyable.

-- Jay Beattie.

Yes they really kick ass. I was surprized Wout could outsprint Sam Bennett and Julian Alaphilippe. Never thought he was that kind of a winner. Mathieu is really something. Won a road classic, national champion on the road, ATB and cross, won already a ATB world cup race. Where does that end. He announced that he will participate in the world road championship in semptember.

There may be an opening on Ineos. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...spital-injured

Must have been a strong wind -- I kind of doubt he took both hands off the bars to blow his nose.

-- Jay Beattie.