Old May 24th 19, 12:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Bottle holder

On 5/23/2019 5:29 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 23 May 2019 07:55:42 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 5/23/2019 5:45 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 22 May 2019 20:56:05 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 5/22/2019 7:59 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

Ok, I yield. A V-block won't work on a finished bicycle frame. I
tend to think in terms of what can be done on a drill press or milling
machine. As you might suspect, I've never used Rivnuts on an a frame.
Water Bottle Mount Drill Jig
https://www.steintool.com/portfolio-items/water-bottle-mount-drill-jig/

snip

Good idea to use this kind of tool to keep the bit straight and to
prevent it from wandering, since you probably don't want to use a center
punch on an aluminum frame. Also to achieve proper spacing. You could
use this on a finished frame with a right-angle drill.

I keep promising myself that I will ignore you but you keep coming up
with increasingly stupid statements.

Tell us, oh great pundit, why shouldn't one use a center punch on an
aluminum frame?

But before you start telling tall tales you should realize that when
the hole is drilled it removes not only the center punch indentation
itself but considerable (in reference to the size of the center punch
dimple) material around the indentation.

One person wrote: "I found that a standard power drill was difficult to
align on the cylindrical steel tube; the bit tended to drift around the
tube. Even after I created a small pilot hole for each boss, the bigger
drill bit shifted to the side a little. In the end, once the cage was
bolted in place, I realized that one of the bosses was misaligned along
its cylindrical axis. Fortunately, it wasn’t off by much, but it tweaked
the alignment ever so slightly and caused the cage to twist."

Of course if you do go the Rivnut route you also want to ensure that you
seal everything so moisture can't get in since you won't be painting the
frame afterward.

Goodness. Here is a thing that is literally riveted (which is why it
is called a "riv(et) nut") into the bike frame. You don't think it
will be water proof?

Like door panels in cars, water always gets in. The key
point of design is to vent the piece with drainhole(s).

Hmm... luckily you don't build boats :-)

No bilge pump on a bicycle.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/