Old January 3rd 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Taylor

Default Derailleurs for FSA compact double and Ultegra STI

On 2 Jan 2007 05:54:15 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"

Hello,

My bike is currently setup with all Ultegra-triple (circa 2003 STI,
crank, FD, 9s cassette, and RD).

I'm planning on moving the crank, FD, and RD to a different bike. In
their place I'm installing an FSA compact double (50/34), and a new FD
and RD.

What is my best bet for the FD and RD for this setup? Of course
compatibility with 9s Ultegra STI levers is a must, and I'm planning on
using an 11-23 cassette. I've seen suggestions for the DA-7700 FD, but
I also see an FSA FD that claims to be specifically made for compact
doubles with a 16T capacity. My primary concerns are reliability and
shifting compatibility. I'm not concerned about weight.

6500 FD and RD or 7700/7800 RD. DO NOT use a 6600/7800(10s) FD, shorter
arms, not enough travel with 9s STI. IRD 'compact' not necessary.

Compact FD not "necessary," but may work better than a Shimano 6500
with Ultegra levers. Having used all kinds of different lever/FD
combos with my 50/34 compact, I like a FSA C-16. Comparably priced,
so why not go for the compact specific?

Also, your cassette choice will give you gear ratios substantially
similar to a 12-25 with 53/39. So in that case, why go compact up
front at all?

The general idea for compact - at least my approach - is to gain at
least one lower gear over a "typical" 53/39 set up, with the sacrifice
of more 2 gear jumps in the block. Meanwhile, the 11 tooth cog saves
your high gear. So 11-25 at least would be necessary to gain one
lower gear. The problem with the gear jumps is one reason why I
switched to 10 speed when I went compact up front. I now run a
"radical" 11-28, so I can climb virtually anything seated using the
little ring, but can stay in the big ring in a larger variety of
terrain than before.