Old July 16th 08, 08:06 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

Default The Problem with Marketing the Recumbent isThe Name

wrote in message
On Jul 16, 3:15 am, Peter Clinch wrote:
Plus of course what goes up, must come down. And going down hills my
rather flabby touring 'bent with no pretensions at speed can cruise past
most uprights freewheeling...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch

That's why I still think marketing is everything, and because they are

faster
they need to loose the 'recumbent' and negative short form of 'bent.
If a name didn't mean much then Marion Morrison would never of [have]
bothered to change his name.
If a name didn't mean much then the automakers wouldn't bother
spending millions to get just the right one.
Imagine if a Toyota Corolla was a Toyota Snail. Who wants to drive a
snail? Or an Echo for that matter.

The obvious advantage of the bicycle referred to now as the 'bent, is

it's superior aerodynamics to the diamond frame design.
A better name for the design would be along the lines of Aerodynamics.
I notice you call other bicycle designs 'uprights'.
Some descriptive words to consider combinations of:
Fast, streak, quick, rapid, swift, speedy, race, or: lightning,
rocket, missile, rush, surge,
bullet, arrow, zip, zoom,

Recumbents overall are not fast. They are slow. They are especially slow
going uphill. But they are comfortable. That is why they are called
recumbents. It is not possible to improve upon perfection. They are
perfectly named as is. I suggest you leave well enough alone.

Peter Clinch of Dundee, Scotland is a jerk who does not know his ass from a
hole in the ground. His signature tells you all you will ever have to know
about him.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka