Old October 17th 17, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Oscar Egg

On 10/16/2017 6:48 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/16/2017 5:14 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Monday, October 16, 2017 at 2:21:38 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/16/2017 4:13 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
What the HELL is going on with this thing

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy...329612307.html

Just a dirt racer. Which part caught your eye?

The Akront rims are Spagnoli BTW, same brand used on classic
Zeus and Orbea bicycles

oops
I think I meant this thing
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bop...341236829.html

It's from this era:
http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/photo-ga...illeurs-1.html

It's a reminder how 20-20 hindsight makes solutions obvious. Most modern
cyclists probably think today's gear systems must be the only reasonable
possibility.

But many other schemes were tried before most people settled on
parallelogram derailleurs, tension cable with spring return, and two
sprung jockey wheels for tensioning the chain.

BTW, I've read that the "myth and lore" of the day held that chain
tension must be manually controlled so as to completely minimize it,
because _any_ excess tension in the lower run of chain would slow a
cyclist dramatically.

These days, we don't give that idea a thought. These ideas come and go.

--
- Frank Krygowski