Old July 12th 03, 11:26 AM
mark freedman

Default How I cracked my helmet

Mark Hickey wrote in message . ..

I agree that many overstate the amount of injury their helmet may have
saved - but I'd suspect not even the most ardent anti-helmet types

Funny story. My Bell whatsit-Pro shell cracked and started
falling apart the day I bought it. So it's been missing chunks for
years.

I swerved to miss a door (guy was in such a rush to get to The
Beer Store that he never checked for cyclists) and braked to miss
the streetcar tracks. Did I mention that this is a good way to crash ?

So I did a face plant. The visor and my FitOver sunglasses and
regular glasses took the force. I was too dizzy to stand, so
crawled to the curb and insisted on going to the hospital to be
checked. Ambulance eventually arrived, paramedic took one look
at my cracked helmet with pieces missing, and said "WOW!!! That
helmet probably saved your life." I didn't have the heart to
contradict him. Went to the hospital. The admitting nurse took
one look at the helmet and said "WOW!!! That helmet probably saved
your life." When I saw the nurse-practitioner a few hours later,
SHE took one look at the helmet and said, "WOW!!! That helmet ...."

So I'm probably one of the statistics they cite when pointing
to the benefits of wearing a helmet. Although the visor and front
edge of the helmet certainly reduced the force with which my
forehead hit the concrete. Almost tempted to get a full face
coverage helmet, which would improve my appearance as well.

would claim that I would have come away from my "interaction" without
significantly more injury had I not been wearing a helmet. As it is,

Yeahbut (as I said via Email)if you hadn't been wearing
that helmet you wouldn't face the expense of buying a new one ....

after almost two months I'm still experiencing some post-concussion

Apparently concussions are cumulative, which seems like an
incentive to be extra careful for a few years while your brain
heals.

Hope you're well soon.