Old September 1st 03, 06:29 PM
Doug Taylor

Default Disc brake front wheel ejection: fact or fantasy?

The boys (the girls are too sensible, it seems) in rec.bicycles.tech
are going at it once again on this subject, with the tech heads and
roadies basically saying that you are taking your life in your hands
if you use disc brakes with QR's and regular dropouts on the theory
that the QR eventually will come loose under force of the front brake
and your wheel will pop off.

So, my question is: has anybody who actually rides mountain bike with
any frequency (such as the amb crowd) experienced this phenomenon or
heard of anybody loosing a wheel? If so, any serious injuries? Is
the sky really falling or can we get back on our bikes and ride?

--dt