Old January 15th 17, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joerg[_2_]

Default Commuting Via Bicycle

On 2017-01-06 09:21, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 10:26:27 AM UTC-8, Stephen Harding
wrote:
On 01/04/2017 12:34 PM,
wrote:
It's raining outside and has been more or less for the last
month. That triggered the thought that many people in San
Francisco cannot afford to keep autos in the city and therefore
commute by bicycle or public transit.

Well the public transit has gotten to the point where it is
overloaded over the entire commute periods.

Will this bring out commuters on bicycles in the London-esque
atmosphere?

What say you commuters?

Hard to say. I see routes, the number and state-of-mind of motor
vehicle operators, distance to work, weather and work requirements
as key factors that will have major effects on bicycle commuting.

Of course one needs to be "within range" of work to make bike
commuting feasible. No one wants to be getting up at 4 in the
morning to make the 50 mile ride to work!

Furthermore, most people really don't want cars zooming by them
[closely] as they ride. Alternate, more peaceful routes can really
encourage someone out of their car.

If traffic is very heavy, some people may very well decide to try
the bike to get to work, sometimes, because they see the people on
bicycles passing them on the road as they're stuck in traffic.

However, if motor vehicle operators are somewhat hostile towards
bikes on roads, it may rein in any proclivities to try to bike
commute.

What sort of environment do you work? I can come in to work in
sweaty t-shirt and cutoffs, hauling my bike into my office without
any problem whatsoever.

But someone making a sales presentation to an important client
probably can't be in that state of dress. That means a change of
clothes, some storage for spare clothing, a towel and perhaps
access to a shower will be required. You'll also need to secure
the bike somewhere safe.

Finally, lots of people like riding a bike on a fine spring
morning, but not so much so in the rain. If you live in a spot
with common rain or overcast and cold or very hot temperatures,
you'll probably not forsake your automobile.

I've bike commuted for 20+ years, even through winter up until two
winters ago, and I am seeing more people on bikes these days doing
work commutes. But I'm fortunate to live in a very bike friendly
area with some pretty good bicycling infrastructure.

But who knows, I do recall being quite impressed during a visit to
London several years back and seeing the bicyclists, many in very
nice suits and skirts, pedaling ahead of our two-decker tour bus,
speedily transiting through a round-about!

I don't know where you live Stephen but let me give you an example of
San Francisco bay area traffic: Palo Also is about 22 miles from my
doorway on the most direct route. The route with the least traffic is
30 miles. The last time I went to my doctor in Palo Alto Medical
Center it took me two hours and twenty minutes. There was NO special
traffic jams - only normal traffic. If I were to ride my bicycle I
often do the ride in under 2 hours.

The weather this winter wouldn't allow this but probably the next
appointment I have in the spring I'll take the bike as a test.

Old Eastern-Frisian saying: There is no bad weather, only wrong clothing.

One of my most fun rides was on singletrack. It rained for almost the
whole four hours. The bike was going partly sideways most of the time
while on dirt. I felt as happy as back as a kid when I snuck out and
headed for the motocross track on my little 20" children's bike.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/