Old December 22nd 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Rechargable Cells/batteries for Lights

Keiron Said:
lights, cold, batteries suck

Ron Said:
Lithium

Phil Said:
Lithium+charging mishaps = BOOM.

Based on my experience from hobbying around with and occasionally
racing RC's, LiPo's (Lithium Polymer) do indeed thrive in the cold.
Their lifetime is also awesome, and the power curve is nice and
consistant until it drops. One day everybody was paying $100+/pack for
real high-end matched NiMH cells, then LiPo hit the scene & a sick
matched set wasn't worth 50. The difference is huge.

Phil's got a point on the charging thing, but as long as you use the
proper charger and do your due diligence you should be fine. I know
plenty of people who use LiPo's all the time, and have yet to see or
hear of a mishap. They happen, but they can be avoided with basic care
& common sense.

The big drawback for me is the $. I couldn't justify spending the $
for the upgrade. Maybe when all my NiMH stuff gives out, and LiPo
comes down a bit more in price.

Dan