Old April 10th 04, 05:11 PM
Mike Vandeman

Default Another Addition to My "Required Reading for the Entire Planet": _Significant Others -- The Ape-Human Continuum and the Quest for Human Nature_

Stanford, Craig, Significant Others -- The Ape-Human Continuum and the Quest for
Human Nature. New York, N.Y.: Basic Books, 2001.
"To understand human nature, you must understand the apes. Significant
Others is a field guide to the current state of our understanding of both human
and ape nature and to the debates now raging in the fields of primate behavior
and human evolution." p.xviii. "Contrary to our popular belief, people who rely
on forest resources for a living do not necessarily try to conserve it. … A
second myth … is that economic improvements necessarily lead people to protect
their forests and wildlife." pp.195-6.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande