Old December 23rd 18, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default The "great mental ward of the Pacific Northwest"

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 08:12:19 -0800 (PST), jbeattie
wrote:

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 9:55:50 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 1:26:31 AM UTC, Duane wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 12:07:49 AM UTC, Duane wrote:

I can’t believe anyone thinks a 2500 mile wall makes any sense.

Made sense to the Chinese (The Mother of All Walls), to the Romans (many
times, inter alia in Britain and Dacia), the Germans (Siegfried), the
French (Maginot), the Brazilians (concha), Webster (line when he means queue).

Andre Jute
800 Words That Every Housewife Knows -- wallpaper I designed for my
advertising agency's offices

You’d have to see the border between the US and Mexico. A lot of it is
not traversable. The “Wall” is just hyperbole.

--
duane

I hunted up some photographs of the Great Wall away from the tourist access, and the terrain looked exactly like I imagined it, uncompromising, not a place, either side of the wall, that any reasonable person would want for any purpose (1) except to paint or photograph it and then bugger off in a hurry from its desolation.

The Great Wall was intended to stop invading hoards and not swarthy job seekers and pregnant women trying to make a run for it. Dehydrated migrants can be deterred with much less. We certainly don't need the Great Wall, the Pyramids or some other structure visible from outer space to tighten up the border. USCBP and local governments/landowners know where fencing is needed. Let them come up with ideas. The Narcissist in Chief knows nothing about border security beyond "Build the Wall!"

None of the historical walls mentioned were intended to be the sole
defense. Rather they were, in essence, intended as a place for the men
at arms to stand while they were slaughtering the hordes attempting to
invade.

Is this the plan for the Great American Wall?

cheers,

John B.