Old December 23rd 18, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default The "great mental ward of the Pacific Northwest"

jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 9:55:50 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 1:26:31 AM UTC, Duane wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, December 23, 2018 at 12:07:49 AM UTC, Duane wrote:

I can’t believe anyone thinks a 2500 mile wall makes any sense.

Made sense to the Chinese (The Mother of All Walls), to the Romans (many
times, inter alia in Britain and Dacia), the Germans (Siegfried), the
French (Maginot), the Brazilians (concha), Webster (line when he means queue).

Andre Jute
800 Words That Every Housewife Knows -- wallpaper I designed for my
advertising agency's offices

You’d have to see the border between the US and Mexico. A lot of it is
not traversable. The “Wall” is just hyperbole.

--
duane

I hunted up some photographs of the Great Wall away from the tourist
access, and the terrain looked exactly like I imagined it,
uncompromising, not a place, either side of the wall, that any
reasonable person would want for any purpose (1) except to paint or
photograph it and then bugger off in a hurry from its desolation.

The Great Wall was intended to stop invading hoards and not swarthy job
seekers and pregnant women trying to make a run for it. Dehydrated
migrants can be deterred with much less. We certainly don't need the
Great Wall, the Pyramids or some other structure visible from outer space
to tighten up the border. USCBP and local governments/landowners know
where fencing is needed. Let them come up with ideas. The Narcissist in
Chief knows nothing about border security beyond "Build the Wall!"

Yeah like I said, tech has moved past stone walls.

Meanwhile, the government is shut down; the budget deficit soars, and
cabinet officers are sprinting for the doors. It looks like a rat
highway on the strained mooring lines for the ship of state. The giant
corporate tax break has not produced significant economic gains -- even
the WSJ slammed the cut this morning. Korea is still nuclear. China is
in a froth. But in all fairness, NAFTA 2.0 has improved the fortunes of
US powdered milk producers. Mission accomplished!

The new thing here is telling people to look for the “certified Canadian”
stamps on milk products. Sort of like the buy American push I remember
from a while back.

What is the solution? A bike ride -- in the rain with my pals. We're hard men!

+1 on that one. Though it’s more like windy ice storms here...

-- Jay Beattie.

--
duane