Old July 28th 17, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default How long should caliper brake springs last?

On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 7:40:49 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:
The brakes on my Specialized road bike were not opening all the way when
releasing the brake levers. At first I thought it was the old brake
cables having corrosion so I replace them, and I also put on a set of
new/used levers, since the springs in the original levers were weak, but
this wasn't sufficient.

Went to a bike shop this morning and the shop was closed but the service
area had an open door and I asked the mechanic about replacement
springs. These are for Dia-Compe Edge brakes that came with the bicycle,
circa 1987.

The mechanic told me to just replace the brake set. I ended up buying a
set of Ultegra 6800 calipers from him, with pads, that he had taken off
a bicycle where the owner was upgrading. At first he wanted to sell me
the whole Ultegra group for $300, which had a FC-6703 triple crank, but
he sold me the brakes only, for $50. This is a much better brakeset than
the original, but really I only needed the springs, I was just in a hurry..

How often should I have to replace brake springs. Since this road
bicycle is about 30 years old I figure that the springs do fatigue over
time.

I think this is what I wanted:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIA-COMPE-S-PULL-BRAKE-PART-SPRING-/282571492776?hash=item41ca92cda8:g:LiIAAOSwUFtZaPk c

the bores/pistons are worn out of round ...not changing fluid over time is one

cause in auto. Piston position goes up one end down other causing snubbing. prob not the spring ...spring are cushion not a ram.

in auto, come x miles, you toss the lot n get new or in drums tinker tinker tinker. Iam for reasons of preventive maint...new to discs....major improvement over servicing drums. The four huge abs discs on muh E250 are a source of wonder leading to thoughts of GT40's glowing in the dark at the end of the straight.