Old August 8th 03, 06:58 AM
Pete

Default Do bicycles and cars mix?

"Scott in Aztlan" wrote in message
On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 02:43:33 GMT, "Pete" wrote:

All this merely points to a poor implementation of non-car transport.

It *can* be done. The US public merely lacks the will or desire to do it.
For a variety of reasons. Mainly, I think, because we don't *want* to.

I fully understand why.

I live approximately 3 miles from my office. It takes me less than 9

minutes
door-to-door to drive there.

I live 3 miles away from work as well. It takes me 12-14 minutes by bike,
10-12 by car.

Lest you think I'm a 'bike nazi', I ride when I feel like it. Doesn't have
to be *every day*. But I've found commuting by bike allows a 2 car family to
be a one car family.

Think about it. At least one car in a two car family sits around almost ALL
the time. In the parking lot at work, or at home, when you're driving the
other one.

18 minutes/day use is not good economics.

Pete
And that's time I don't have to spend in the gym