Old August 11th 03, 06:13 PM

Default Do bicycles and cars mix?

John David Galt wrote in message
.. .
Krist wrote:
I do think that it is possible to create a transit system that allows a
large fraction of the population this type of choice. The place I live

in
proves that. Some places in the States.

In some other places it might not be possible...
But then, the role of transit is not te force people out of their car,

the
role ought to be to offer choice where offering choice makes sense.

I totally agree. But "makes sense" is defined economically. If it takes
taxpayer subsidies for transit to exist at all, offering it doesn't make
sense.

Research Triangle Park in NC does not fit modern urban planning models.
It was set up to be a PARK, with 18% of the land not covered in trees or
ponds. It worked. But no one lives there. Planners say, "Redevelop it."
Durham's long-range plan calls for 'compact' business development where
people live. In short, in Durham RTP has been soundly repudiated by the
planners, but a huge economic success. Why? People do not want to live in
1900 houses.
So now we have buses to take people to RTP. They get back 11% of the
costs in fares. Is that good economic sense? Planners say YES. The rest
of us say NO.