Old August 11th 03, 08:08 PM
wrob

Default Do bicycles and cars mix?

wrote:

Research Triangle Park in NC does not fit modern urban planning models.
It was set up to be a PARK, with 18% of the land not covered in trees or
ponds. It worked. But no one lives there. Planners say, "Redevelop it."
Durham's long-range plan calls for 'compact' business development where
people live. In short, in Durham RTP has been soundly repudiated by the
planners, but a huge economic success. Why? People do not want to live in
1900 houses.

That's funny, go tell that to your nearest realtor agent. He will laugh at you.
Our 1900 house has sextupled in value since the late 1970s because (a) it is
historic, and (b) it is within walking distance of transit, schools and parks.
Those are the only reasons generally cited. Same is true in *every* other
historic neighborhood that has transit access in the US. Like I said, talk
to your realtor, ask him what the average value/sqf of an older house within
walking distance of a transit station vs. a newer home elsewhere. The main
urban planning problem is keeping prices *affordable* near rail transit, so
it can remain useful to middle-income-and-under families.