Old August 11th 03, 08:14 PM
wrob

Default Do bicycles and cars mix?

wrote:

Keith F. Lynch wrote in message
John David Galt wrote:
I totally agree. But "makes sense" is defined economically. If it
takes taxpayer subsidies for transit to exist at all, offering it
doesn't make sense.

So we should close all the roads and highways? That's where most of
the transportation-related tax money goes.

Next we should close all the airports? That's where most of the rest
of the transportation-related tax money goes.

Airports are cash cows my friend. They make money unless they try very
very hard not to. They could pay taxes and still make profits. Ticket
taxes pay for airports, as do PFCs (in the USA). ATC is a profit-maker in
Canada, and should be in the USA too. It is also a profit-maker in
Switzerland.

ATC a profit-maker eh? Then I guess transit systems with dedicated
sales taxes are profit-makers too... especially ones like DC Metro where
the economic impact of building the system is greater than the entire
system cost... go visit Ballston or Bethesda if you don't believe me.

-BER