Old August 13th 03, 02:59 AM
Keith F. Lynch

Default Do bicycles and cars mix?

"Keith F. Lynch" wrote:
So why did Virginia raise sales taxes by 12% a few years ago?

DTJ wrote:
I wonder how they figured it to be 12%?

They didn't call it that. It was an increase from 4% to 4.5%. They
called it a half percent increase. I called it a twelve and a half
percent increase.

The subsequent proposed 22% increase, 4.5% to 5.5%, they called a
"penny tax". I was tempted to go to city hall, hand them a penny,
and tell them that now that I've paid my tax in full, I never want
to hear from them again.

Homewood school district tried to more than triple taxes a few years
ago. They claimed it was only a 3% raise. They neglected to tell
you that was on top of the already 1.5% tax rate, and the new total
would be 4.5%. Voters weren't that stupid.

Likewise in Virginia. The proposed 22% increase was defeated.
--
Keith F. Lynch - - http://keithlynch.net/
I always welcome replies to my e-mail, postings, and web pages, but