Old August 19th 09, 03:11 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech

Default Any one else get mistaken for a Hobo?

On Aug 18, 6:31*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per KingOfTheApes:

"I live in a strange little city where the only people that typicly
ride bikes (olther than $3000 carbon fiber jobbies) are hobos and
DWIs, especialy a twenty year old schwinn MTB with a milk-crate trunk-
basket...

Last year one of the bike mags did a story whose essence was
pointing out that in one major West-coast city, the majority of
bike riders were people who could not afford public
transportation.
--
PeteCresswell

It was Bicycling magazine I think. And Los Angeles was the town
discussed. But it was not people who could not afford public
transportation as the subject. Public transport is cheap. Even
$2-3-4-5 each way for bus or subway. Compared to gas and parking,
cheap cheap cheap. Especially parking. The main bike riders were
homeless, unemployed, day laborers, poor people in this magazine
article. They could not afford a car, gas, insurance, parking, etc,
etc. Lots of costs with owning a car.